In the 1960s Spencer and Rosa Clark started a collection that required a very large garden – they acquired architectural artifacts from large buildings in downtown Toronto that were being torn down and replaced with even larger ones.
This garden is located in suburban Scarborough, in what is now Guild Park and Gardens.
The archway from a long gone building leads you into the park.
What were once decorative pieces on the Toronto Star newspaper building are now giant building blocks.
Remnants from a Music Hall.
Smaller pieces are integrated directly into the gardens.
While others are added together to make a new sculpture.
Toronto’s second fire hall was located at Richmond and Portland Streets. Dating from 1871 it was torn down in 1968. In the background is a brand new events center.
The Greek Theater (also the featured photo for this posting). What was once the Bank of Toronto Building is now a theater in a park.
The grounds are immaculate, with the artifacts well spaced throughout.
The facing from the Quebec Bank Building has porcelain lions.
Additional random artifacts.
Easily the largest collection is from the former Bank of Montreal Building at King and Bay Streets in downtown Toronto. With this many fantastic items, this must have been an amazing building!