The town of Colonia del Sacramento was founded in 1680 by the Portuguese in what was then a southern territory of Brazil. Over the next 140 years it changed hands numerous times between the Portuguese and the Spanish, always remaining an important port.
The historic district is designated by UNESCO as a World Site. Many of the cobblestone streets date from the 17th an 18th century.
The buildings, while not as old, are still very historic.
The Basilica dates from the early 1800s.
Nearby are the foundations of the buildings from the 1600s.
After visiting the church we continued our tour of the old town.
The lighthouse is situated next to a 17th century convent remains.
Portions of the original city wall remain, having been restored.
We ended our walk around town crossing through the gate that lead originally to a drawbridge.