Hamilton, OH – August 2017 – Remote Control Airplane ‘Flying Circus’

The Cincinnati Remote Control Airplane Club has been around for over 50 years. Once a year they host a ‘Flying Circus’ at the Butler County Airport in Hamilton, Ohio. This event allows them to showcase to the public their love of their airplanes, as well as their skill in flying them.

There were a number of models both in scope of the time of aviation design as well as scale.

2017 08 06 3 Hamilton OH RC Plane Flying Circus.JPG

 

One of the highlights was an event to break balloons by flying low and fast and clipping them with (hopefully) their wheels. Not all used their wheels.

2017 08 06 20 Hamilton OH RC Plane Flying Circus.JPG

 

A few slammed into the display holding the balloons.

2017 08 06 31 Hamilton OH RC Plane Flying Circus.JPG

 

Some of the landings made it but a bit off course.

2017 08 06 36 Hamilton OH RC Plane Flying Circus.JPG

 

The pilots went to pick up the remains of those that crashed.

2017 08 06 39 Hamilton OH RC Plane Flying Circus.JPG

 

A Wright Flyer model was flown, albeit very briefly before crashing.

2017 08 06 42 Hamilton OH RC Plane Flying Circus.JPG

 

The models were amazing in detail – from a distance it is tough to tell they are models.

2017 08 06 51 Hamilton OH RC Plane Flying Circus.JPG

 

The coordinator had a great hat.

2017 08 06 56 Hamilton OH RC Plane Flying Circus.JPG

 

A model Valkyrie deloyed a chute to slow it down when landing.

2017 08 06 66 Hamilton OH RC Plane Flying Circus.JPG

 

Some of the landings were dicey, but made it.

2017 08 06 84 Hamilton OH RC Plane Flying Circus.JPG

 

A trio of Red Baron bi-planes put on a great show.

2017 08 06 96 Hamilton OH RC Plane Flying Circus.JPG

 

Some model jets made an appearance.

2017 08 06 109 Hamilton OH RC Plane Flying Circus.JPG

 

Another close landing.

2017 08 06 124 Hamilton OH RC Plane Flying Circus.JPG

 

In the end it was a great show.

2017 08 06 151 Hamilton OH RC Plane Flying Circus.JPG

Columbus – May 2017 – Historical Markers

The Ohio History Center has arranged for over 1,500 Historical Markers to be erected throughout the state, with over 100 in Franklin County (Columbus) alone. Each of these markers provides a snippet of information about a person, place or activity that took place on or near the marker.

We spent the day wandering around looking for a few that were associated with structures of interest. In the end we visited 12 unique locations.

The text for each photo is the transcription from the marker (thank you Ohio History Center for the signs!)

Worthington Masonic Museum

Worthington was the center of Masonry for the central Ohio area in the early years of the nineteenth century. New England Lodge, with its original charter from the Grand Lodge of Connecticut dated 1803, is the oldest lodge in continuous existence in Ohio. This building, erected in 1820, is the oldest Masonic Temple west of the Allegheny Mountains.

2017 05 06 5 Worthington OH.JPG

 

Groveport Log Home

Built on Main Street, circa 1815, this two story log residence was later sided. In 1974 during new post office site preparation, the log structure was discovered and moved to present location along Ohio-Erie Canal route. In adjoining Groveport Cemetery a monument honors local resident, John S. Rarey (1828-1866), internationally known horse trainer and owner of famous horse, Cruiser.

 

2017 05 06 86 Groveport OH.JPG

 

Canal Winchester Covered Bridge

In March, 1887, the Franklin County Commissioners announced the building of a bridge in Madison Township over Little Walnut Creek at Kramer’s Ford. Area citizens had petitioned for a bridge to transport agricultural products to the canal and railroad. Michael Corbett of Groveport contracted to construct the abutments and the Columbus Bridge Company built the covered bridge for $2,690.00. Reuban L. Partridge, company vice president, supervised the building, using his patented truss system consisting of double and triple truss members constructed of pine and oak. Back Text: In the 1930’s the road traveling over the bridge became State Route 674 and in the 1950s the road was redirected to bypass the covered bridge. In 1990, the county contracted with Abba Lichtenstein & Associates to evaluate the condition of the bridge. The W.J. Seidensticker Company repaired and restored the Bergstresser bridge using original and new materials. This, the last covered bridge in Franklin County, was rededicated September 1, 1991. At this time the ownership of the bridge was transferred to the Village of Canal Winchester.

 

2017 05 06 61 Canal Winchester OH.JPG

 

 

Grandview Heights – The Bank Block

Built by pioneering retail developer Don Monroe Casto Sr., the Bank Block was dedicated in 1928. Considered one of the earliest regional shopping centers in the United States, it innovatively featured 350 free parking spaces-complete with uniformed attendant-to accommodate the rapidly growing numbers of automobile-owning suburbanites. The Bank Block’s first tenants included several competing national grocers (Kroger, A&P, and Piggly Wiggly), the First Citizens Trust (later Ohio National Bank), a stationer, barber shop, and pharmacy. It remains the nucleus of Grandview’s commercial district. Casto, once described as “the man who changed the shopping habits of the free world,” also built the Town and Country Shopping Center in Whitehall and was a dominant figure in retail commercial development in the Midwest for much of the 20th century.

2017 05 06 11 Grandview Heights OH.JPG

 

Worthington – Orange Johnson House

The original pioneer structure of this house was built by Arora Buttles in 1811. It was purchased by Orange and Achsa Johnson in 1816. Orange Johnson came from Connecticut as a comb maker; he became a farmer, landowner, turnpike commissioner, paymaster for the militia, banker, and railroad stockholder. In 1819 the Federal style addition was constructed on the west side of the pioneer house, and the Johnsons continued to live here until 1863. Restored and owned by the Worthington Historical Society.

 

2017 05 06 8 Worthington OH.JPG

 

Columbus – Original Airport Terminal

The original Port Columbus Airport terminal was founded by the people of Columbus and was one of the first airport facilities in the United States. Dedicated on July 8, 1929, Port Columbus was the first transfer point in the westbound transcontinental passenger service, which was operated by the Pennsylvania Railroad, Transcontinental Air Transport (TAT), and the Santa Fe Railway. Its first passengers departed by rail from New York City on July 7, 1929, and boarded TAT Ford Tri-Motor aircraft at Port Columbus to fly to Waynoka, Oklahoma, the following day. They then traveled by rail to Clovis, New Mexico, and completed their journey with a TAT flight to Los Angeles. The scheduled 48-hour trip was celebrated in Columbus, marking the beginning milestone of national airport travel. (continued on other side) Back Text: (continued from other side) With the nation sinking into the Great Depression, the national air travel venture at Port Columbus was not profitable enough. As a result, the scheduled train-plane operation was suspended and replaced with coast-to-coast air service in 1930. The arrival of mail service at the airport in 1930 helped, as did a huge contract with the Curtiss-Wright Corporation in 1940. Curtiss-Wright leased 83 acres of airport property to produce 6,000 planes, including the SB2C Helldiver and SO3C-1 Seagull aircraft. The federal government took over airport operations in 1941. In 1942 a Naval Air Facility was established adding several new buildings and lengthening runways. This building served as the passenger terminal until the present terminal opened on September 21, 1958.

 

2017 05 06 36 Columbus.JPG

 

Columbus – Lincoln Theater

The Lincoln Theatre, originally known as Ogden Theatre Lodge, opened on Thanksgiving Day in 1929. Developer Al Jackson was spurred to build the theatre because African-Americans were segregated from the other area theatres. Among the bands that have played at the Lincoln was the Eckstine Band, which launched the careers of a number of legendary jazz stars such as Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, and Sarah Vaughn. The Lincoln Theatre retained a high level of integrity during a period of unequaled African-American cultural, social, and economic strength in Columbus.

 

2017 05 06 24 Columbus.JPG

 

Columbus – Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad Station

The only remaining Columbus railroad station, The Toledo & Ohio Central (T&OC) Railroad Station was constructed in 1895 and was the departure point for William McKinley when he left for Washington D.C to be sworn in as president. Designed by noted Columbus architects Joseph Warren Yost & Frank L. Packard, the pagoda style roof and tower have become Columbus icons. By 1900, the T&OC was purchased by the rival Hocking Valley Railroad and in 1911 the tracks were elevated above Broad Street. Later the New York Central Railroad gained control and used the station until 1930 when passenger service was transferred to Union Station in Columbus. Restored after the 1913 Flood and major fires in 1910 and 1975, the station was headquarters for the Central Ohio Volunteers of American from 1930 to 2003. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. Back Text: The Macklin Hotel was constructed prior to 1895 and predates the Toledo & Ohio Central Railroad Station. It was located adjacent to the station and had three towers and a pagoda style roof matching the depot. The Macklin Hotel was located at 387 W. Broad St. in front of the crystal ice plant which supplied ice to the railroads prior to refrigeration. After the hotel closed, the building was used for several restaurants and cafes until its demolition in 1955.

 

2017 05 06 20 Columbus.JPG

 

Grove City – Beulah Park Race Track (Abandonded and mostly demolished)

The origin of Beulah Park Race Track began in 1889 when local businessman A. G. Grant petitioned the village of Grove City to create the Beulah Addition housing development on farmland once owned by town founder William Foster Breck. Grant named the new addition, located west of Harrisburg Pike, in honor of his daughter, Beulah. Grant, whose grandparents ?Hugh and Catherine Grant? were Jackson Township’s first settlers in 1803, added a recreational park to the development to attract potential buyers. The beautifully wooded park attracted visitors who enjoyed picnics, concerts, speeches, and baseball games there. Soon the park was expanded to include a small racetrack on the grounds. Back Text: The new track grabbed the attention of Franklin County Fair officials who held the fair on the site intermittently until 1918 when it was relocated to Hilliard. Shortly thereafter, Colonel James M. Westwater purchased the grounds and added improvements. In 1922, Westwater sold his interest to the Capital City Racing Association and, in 1923, the Association founded Beulah Park ?Ohio’s first Thoroughbred racetrack. The main entrance of the park was located on Grant Avenue, a street named in honor of Jackson Township’s first settlers. In 1931, pari-mutuel wagering commenced under the supervision of the Ohio Racing Commission. In 1983, Beulah Park was the first track in Ohio to offer simulcast wagering on the Kentucky Derby.

 

2017 05 06 96 Grove City OH Vacant Beulah Park Racetrack.JPG

 

One interesting building we came across that did not have a historical marker was the Wagnalls Library in the small town of Lithopolis. This library is a result of Mabel Wagnalls Jones, who was the daughter of Adam Wagnalls, a co-founder of the Funk & Wagnalls Publishing Company.

Built in 1925 it has graced this small town for nearly a century.

 

2017 05 06 72 Lithopolis OH.JPG

 

While we were in Canal Winchester looking for an Interurban station we came across their Main rail station, along with a couple of restored cabooses. We never did find the Interurban station.

2017 05 06 42 Canal Winchester OH.JPG

Seattle – May 2014 – Downtown for the Day

An employment opportunity took me to Seattle where I had an entire day to explore downtown. My connection out took me through Detroit, which had replaced the decrepit old terminal since the last time I was there. The new one has the shuttle running above the concourse, with a tunnel under the taxiway using LED lighting to really make a really interesting walk.

2014 05 26 Detroit Airport 1.JPG

2014 05 26 Detroit Airport 2.JPG

Arriving in Seattle by 9 AM, I had the remainder of the day to wander.

2014 05 27 Seattle 4.JPG

 

2014 05 27 Seattle 7.JPG

 

2014 05 27 Seattle 8.JPG

 

2014 05 27 Seattle 17.JPG

 

 

 

Akron – Canton – September 2011 – A Tour of the Highlights of the Area

With a sunny early fall weekend with nothing to do, we played tourist in the area we lived.

A flower festival in Barberton

2011 09 25 Tour of Akron-Canton 6.JPG

 

2011 09 25 Tour of Akron-Canton 7.JPG

 

2011 09 25 Tour of Akron-Canton 10.JPG

 

Sand castles and carvings were on display

2011 09 25 Tour of Akron-Canton 14.JPG

 

2011 09 25 Tour of Akron-Canton 16.JPG

 

The statue was even adorned with flowers.

2011 09 25 Tour of Akron-Canton 22.JPG

 

Akron was once the rubber capital of the world, and there is plenty of evidence of this – including Firestone Stadium, a depression era baseball stadium that has been converted for the Women’s Professional Softball team.

2011 09 25 Tour of Akron-Canton 28.JPG

 

2011 09 25 Tour of Akron-Canton 23.JPG

 

Quaker Oats started in Akron – one of the old silo complexes was turned into a hotel, and later, University of Akron dorms.

2011 09 25 Tour of Akron-Canton 34.JPG

 

2011 09 25 Tour of Akron-Canton 42.JPG

 

2011 09 25 Tour of Akron-Canton 47.JPG

 

The new University of Akron football stadium – likely overbuilt as they never fill it.

2011 09 25 Tour of Akron-Canton 66.JPG

 

2011 09 25 Tour of Akron-Canton 71.JPG

 

The William McKinley Memorial in Canton.

2011 09 25 Tour of Akron-Canton 91.JPG

 

The steps are a popular workout location.

2011 09 25 Tour of Akron-Canton 97.JPG

 

2011 09 25 Tour of Akron-Canton 101.JPG

 

Canton is home to the Professional Football Hall of Fame – as the freeway bridge proclaims.

2011 09 25 Tour of Akron-Canton 104.JPG

 

2011 09 25 Tour of Akron-Canton 87.JPG

 

Back in Akron – Fulton Airport – Home of the Blimp Hangar

2011 09 25 Tour of Akron-Canton 107.JPG

 

2011 09 25 Tour of Akron-Canton 109.JPG

 

2011 09 25 Tour of Akron-Canton 116.JPG

 

Denver – May 2010 – Touring the Area

Our Colorado trip continued with most of the day spent in and around Denver. First stop – Lookout Mountain above Golden, Colorado.

2010 05 21 Colorado 2 Lookout Mountain.jpg

2010 05 21 Colorado 6 Lookout Mountain.jpg

Back in town we stopped at Union Station, just before it closed for extensive renovations.

2010 05 21 Colorado 13 Denver.jpg

2010 05 21 Colorado 12 Denver.jpg

2010 05 21 Colorado 18 Denver.jpg

Tourists thinking they are on the mile high step at the Colorado State Capital, but with more modern measuring techniques it is actually three steps behind them (marked with the small round gold plate)

2010 05 21 Colorado 24 Denver.jpg

After that, we headed to the airport to pick up a nephew. The distinctive roofline of the airport is supposedly a tribute to the mountains.

2010 05 21 Colorado 34 Denver.jpg

2010 05 21 Colorado 37 Denver.jpg