Vancouver – September 2017 – Views of the City

Vancouver is Canada’s 3rd largest city, and with height limits on skyscrapers has numerous fairly tall ones, without the massively tall buildings blocking views of the mountains.

In addition it is a center for cruise ships heading to Alaska. Personally I have no desire to be on a boat with 3000 other people.

2017 09 09 195 Vancouver.JPG

 

The harbor has steady seaplane traffic

2017 09 09 196 Vancouver.JPG

 

The harbor front area is lined with condo buildings.

2017 09 09 223 Vancouver.JPG

 

The Olympic Cauldron

2017 09 09 227 Vancouver.JPG

 

8 Bit Orca

2017 09 09 231 Vancouver.JPG

 

One of the cruise ships going under the Lions Gate Bridge.

2017 09 09 269 Vancouver.JPG

 

An evening view from the ‘Vancouver Lookout’ observation deck.

2017 09 09 292 Vancouver.JPG

Vancouver – September 2017 – Capilano Suspension Bridge Park

Capilano Park is a natural area in North Vancouver that has a deep gorge running through it. Since the 1800s a private park, close but not included in the main park, has featured a suspension bridge across the ravine.

Today the park has a number of other attractions, and as a ‘tourist spot’ is well done.

2017 09 08 67 Vancouver Capilano Park.JPG

 

The park features a nice display of replica Native Totem Poles.

2017 09 08 70 Vancouver Capilano Park.JPG

 

The ‘Cliffwalk’ is hanging along the side of the cliff on a narrow walkway.

2017 09 08 76 Vancouver Capilano Park.JPG

 

The “Treetop Adventure” is suspended high above the ground giving interesting views of the canopy

2017 09 08 88 Vancouver Capilano Park.JPG

 

As well as the activities below.

2017 09 08 92 Vancouver Capilano Park.JPG

 

The the main attraction is the bouncing, swinging bridge.

2017 09 08 134 Vancouver Capilano Park.JPG

 

 

 

 

 

 

Calgary – September 2017 – Views of the City

Calgary, Alberta was the next stop, where we arrived right as the Pride Parade ended. People were in a festive mood.

2017 09 03 74 Calgary.JPG

 

2017 09 03 82 Calgary.JPG

 

There is a bluff just north of downtown Calgary offering a nice view of the downtown skyline.

2017 09 03 89 Calgary.JPG

 

The river was a favorite rafting spot.

2017 09 03 93 Calgary.JPG

 

The impressive pedestrian/biking ‘Peace Bridge’.

2017 09 03 108 Calgary.JPG

 

While there are some older buildings downtown, much has been replaced with new skyscrapers.

2017 09 03 122 Calgary.JPG

 

Calgary is famous for it’s rodeo, the Calgary Stampede. Part of the grounds is the arena, the Saddledome.

2017 09 03 144 Calgary.JPG

 

The city has been celebrating Canada 150.

2017 09 03 149 Calgary.JPG

 

 

 

 

 

 

Cleveland – August 2017 – Detroit-Superior Bridge Tour

The Detroit-Superior Bridge in Cleveland (so named because it connects Detroit Avenue on the West Side with Superior Avenue downtown) was opened in 1918. While renamed a few years ago to the Veterans Memorial Bridge, to most it is still the Detroit-Superior Bridge.

When it was opened in 1918 it had streetcars running on the lower level with the cars, buses and trucks on the upper level. (photo below is from about 100 different internet sites). When the streetcars stopped running in the 1950s, the lower level was closed off.

detroitsuperior.jpg

 

Every once in a while the Cuyahoga County Engineers Office will open the lower level for tours. With the last tour 4 years ago the open house this year was very popular, with an estimated 10,000 people checking it out.

2017 08 19 4 Cleveland - Detroit Superior Bridge Tour.JPG

 

The outer walkways were only partially open.

2017 08 19 13 Cleveland - Detroit Superior Bridge Tour.JPG

 

The steel frame allows views down to the river, almost 200 feet below.

2017 08 19 24 Cleveland - Detroit Superior Bridge Tour.JPG

 

On the west side, the abandoned West 25th Street subway station was open.

2017 08 19 29 Cleveland - Detroit Superior Bridge Tour.JPG

 

2017 08 19 31 Cleveland - Detroit Superior Bridge Tour.JPG

 

There have been numerous proposals for use, including bike/pedestrian trails, etc.

2017 08 19 46 Cleveland - Detroit Superior Bridge Tour.JPG

Pittsburgh – July 2017 – Scenes From The City

Scenes of Pittsburgh

Night time from Mt Washington (a corner of PNC Park during a game)

Pittsburgh Scenes 11.JPG

 

Ft Pitt Bridge Lower Level

Pittsburgh Scenes 1.JPG

 

Cornices on an old skyscraper

Pittsburgh Scenes 3.JPG

 

Alcoa Building (now apartments)

Pittsburgh Scenes 5.JPG

 

Pittsburgh ‘T’ (lacking originality and using Boston’s name for the trains)

Pittsburgh Scenes 7.JPG

 

Lobby of PNC Headquarters

Pittsburgh Scenes 12.JPG

 

Roberto Clemente is making sure you know it is a bike lane.

Pittsburgh Scenes 15.JPG

 

Mon River – Smithfield Street Bridge in the foreground, with one of the Gateway Clipper boats on the right

Pittsburgh Scenes 17.JPG

 

The Point

Pittsburgh Scenes 20.JPG

 

A mix of the Point Park Fountain, Ft Duquesne Bridge and PNC Park light towers

Pittsburgh Scenes 19.JPG

 

Doesn’t everyone get their wedding photos taken on a bridge (closed to traffic for the baseball crowd)

Pittsburgh Scenes 23.JPG

Fairfield County, Ohio – May 2017 – Covered Bridge Tour Part 2

Fairfield County Ohio claims they have more covered bridges than any other county in the country. A couple of years ago we did a tour of about 1/2 of them, so on this sunny Sunday we decided to do the other half. It turned out this half was primarily not in their original location, and on a few not even over water.

Still they have managed to preserve all of them, which is a better fate than many.

 

The bridges:

Zeller-Smith Covered Bridge – Now at Sycamore Park in Pickerington, it was built in 1906, it is of Queenpost style and has a span of 73′.

2017 05 07 124 Fairfield County Covered Bridge Tour 2.JPG

 

Hizey Bridge – Now located on private property on Tollgate Road in Pickerington, it originally spanned Popular Creek. The Hizey Covered Bridge was built in 1891, with a length of 83 feet. Its Multiple Queenpost construction has an arch.

2017 05 07 128 Fairfield County Covered Bridge Tour 2.JPG

 

Stemen House/Estates Covered BridgeNow located in a residential neighborhood in Violet Township, Fairfield County, Ohio. It was built in 1888 over Sycamore Creek, and moved in 1978 to the Covered Bridge Estates neighborhood. It is 36’ long.

2017 05 07 131 Fairfield County Covered Bridge Tour 2.JPG

 

Charles Holliday Bridge – Originally at Walnut Creek on Lake Road it is now at Millersport Lions Club Grounds, near Buckeye Lake.

The Charles Holliday Covered Bridge was the last one standing in Walnut Township. Built in the late 1890’s by J.W. Buchanan, it originally crossed over Walnut Creek on Lake Road. The 98′ multiple Kingpost span was reconstructed in the early 1980’s at its current location at Millersport on the Millersport Kiwanis Sweet Corn Festival Grounds.

2017 05 07 138 Fairfield County Covered Bridge Tour 2.JPG

 

Rock Mill Bridge – Spanning over Hocking River next to Rock Mill, it is still in its original location. The Rock Mill Covered Bridge was originally built in 1849 in Queenpost style. A second bridge was built in 1880 and the current span in 1901. It crosses the upper falls 30 feet above the Hocking River’s origin and is the smallest covered bridge in Fairfield County being only 33′ in length. Today the bridge has been converted into a park area by the Fairfield County Historical Parks Commission. It is next to the Rock Mill currently under reconstruction.

The Mill was open the day we were there, with 4 levels up, and a lower level with the gears that are turned by the mill. The volunteer staff was very helpful in enthusiastically explaining the mill and its workings.

2017 05 07 172 Fairfield County Covered Bridge Tour 2.JPG

Columbus – May 2017 – Historical Markers

The Ohio History Center has arranged for over 1,500 Historical Markers to be erected throughout the state, with over 100 in Franklin County (Columbus) alone. Each of these markers provides a snippet of information about a person, place or activity that took place on or near the marker.

We spent the day wandering around looking for a few that were associated with structures of interest. In the end we visited 12 unique locations.

The text for each photo is the transcription from the marker (thank you Ohio History Center for the signs!)

Worthington Masonic Museum

Worthington was the center of Masonry for the central Ohio area in the early years of the nineteenth century. New England Lodge, with its original charter from the Grand Lodge of Connecticut dated 1803, is the oldest lodge in continuous existence in Ohio. This building, erected in 1820, is the oldest Masonic Temple west of the Allegheny Mountains.

2017 05 06 5 Worthington OH.JPG

 

Groveport Log Home

Built on Main Street, circa 1815, this two story log residence was later sided. In 1974 during new post office site preparation, the log structure was discovered and moved to present location along Ohio-Erie Canal route. In adjoining Groveport Cemetery a monument honors local resident, John S. Rarey (1828-1866), internationally known horse trainer and owner of famous horse, Cruiser.

 

2017 05 06 86 Groveport OH.JPG

 

Canal Winchester Covered Bridge

In March, 1887, the Franklin County Commissioners announced the building of a bridge in Madison Township over Little Walnut Creek at Kramer’s Ford. Area citizens had petitioned for a bridge to transport agricultural products to the canal and railroad. Michael Corbett of Groveport contracted to construct the abutments and the Columbus Bridge Company built the covered bridge for $2,690.00. Reuban L. Partridge, company vice president, supervised the building, using his patented truss system consisting of double and triple truss members constructed of pine and oak. Back Text: In the 1930’s the road traveling over the bridge became State Route 674 and in the 1950s the road was redirected to bypass the covered bridge. In 1990, the county contracted with Abba Lichtenstein & Associates to evaluate the condition of the bridge. The W.J. Seidensticker Company repaired and restored the Bergstresser bridge using original and new materials. This, the last covered bridge in Franklin County, was rededicated September 1, 1991. At this time the ownership of the bridge was transferred to the Village of Canal Winchester.

 

2017 05 06 61 Canal Winchester OH.JPG

 

 

Grandview Heights – The Bank Block

Built by pioneering retail developer Don Monroe Casto Sr., the Bank Block was dedicated in 1928. Considered one of the earliest regional shopping centers in the United States, it innovatively featured 350 free parking spaces-complete with uniformed attendant-to accommodate the rapidly growing numbers of automobile-owning suburbanites. The Bank Block’s first tenants included several competing national grocers (Kroger, A&P, and Piggly Wiggly), the First Citizens Trust (later Ohio National Bank), a stationer, barber shop, and pharmacy. It remains the nucleus of Grandview’s commercial district. Casto, once described as “the man who changed the shopping habits of the free world,” also built the Town and Country Shopping Center in Whitehall and was a dominant figure in retail commercial development in the Midwest for much of the 20th century.

2017 05 06 11 Grandview Heights OH.JPG

 

Worthington – Orange Johnson House

The original pioneer structure of this house was built by Arora Buttles in 1811. It was purchased by Orange and Achsa Johnson in 1816. Orange Johnson came from Connecticut as a comb maker; he became a farmer, landowner, turnpike commissioner, paymaster for the militia, banker, and railroad stockholder. In 1819 the Federal style addition was constructed on the west side of the pioneer house, and the Johnsons continued to live here until 1863. Restored and owned by the Worthington Historical Society.

 

2017 05 06 8 Worthington OH.JPG

 

Columbus – Original Airport Terminal

The original Port Columbus Airport terminal was founded by the people of Columbus and was one of the first airport facilities in the United States. Dedicated on July 8, 1929, Port Columbus was the first transfer point in the westbound transcontinental passenger service, which was operated by the Pennsylvania Railroad, Transcontinental Air Transport (TAT), and the Santa Fe Railway. Its first passengers departed by rail from New York City on July 7, 1929, and boarded TAT Ford Tri-Motor aircraft at Port Columbus to fly to Waynoka, Oklahoma, the following day. They then traveled by rail to Clovis, New Mexico, and completed their journey with a TAT flight to Los Angeles. The scheduled 48-hour trip was celebrated in Columbus, marking the beginning milestone of national airport travel. (continued on other side) Back Text: (continued from other side) With the nation sinking into the Great Depression, the national air travel venture at Port Columbus was not profitable enough. As a result, the scheduled train-plane operation was suspended and replaced with coast-to-coast air service in 1930. The arrival of mail service at the airport in 1930 helped, as did a huge contract with the Curtiss-Wright Corporation in 1940. Curtiss-Wright leased 83 acres of airport property to produce 6,000 planes, including the SB2C Helldiver and SO3C-1 Seagull aircraft. The federal government took over airport operations in 1941. In 1942 a Naval Air Facility was established adding several new buildings and lengthening runways. This building served as the passenger terminal until the present terminal opened on September 21, 1958.

 

2017 05 06 36 Columbus.JPG

 

Columbus – Lincoln Theater

The Lincoln Theatre, originally known as Ogden Theatre Lodge, opened on Thanksgiving Day in 1929. Developer Al Jackson was spurred to build the theatre because African-Americans were segregated from the other area theatres. Among the bands that have played at the Lincoln was the Eckstine Band, which launched the careers of a number of legendary jazz stars such as Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, and Sarah Vaughn. The Lincoln Theatre retained a high level of integrity during a period of unequaled African-American cultural, social, and economic strength in Columbus.

 

2017 05 06 24 Columbus.JPG

 

Columbus – Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad Station

The only remaining Columbus railroad station, The Toledo & Ohio Central (T&OC) Railroad Station was constructed in 1895 and was the departure point for William McKinley when he left for Washington D.C to be sworn in as president. Designed by noted Columbus architects Joseph Warren Yost & Frank L. Packard, the pagoda style roof and tower have become Columbus icons. By 1900, the T&OC was purchased by the rival Hocking Valley Railroad and in 1911 the tracks were elevated above Broad Street. Later the New York Central Railroad gained control and used the station until 1930 when passenger service was transferred to Union Station in Columbus. Restored after the 1913 Flood and major fires in 1910 and 1975, the station was headquarters for the Central Ohio Volunteers of American from 1930 to 2003. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. Back Text: The Macklin Hotel was constructed prior to 1895 and predates the Toledo & Ohio Central Railroad Station. It was located adjacent to the station and had three towers and a pagoda style roof matching the depot. The Macklin Hotel was located at 387 W. Broad St. in front of the crystal ice plant which supplied ice to the railroads prior to refrigeration. After the hotel closed, the building was used for several restaurants and cafes until its demolition in 1955.

 

2017 05 06 20 Columbus.JPG

 

Grove City – Beulah Park Race Track (Abandonded and mostly demolished)

The origin of Beulah Park Race Track began in 1889 when local businessman A. G. Grant petitioned the village of Grove City to create the Beulah Addition housing development on farmland once owned by town founder William Foster Breck. Grant named the new addition, located west of Harrisburg Pike, in honor of his daughter, Beulah. Grant, whose grandparents ?Hugh and Catherine Grant? were Jackson Township’s first settlers in 1803, added a recreational park to the development to attract potential buyers. The beautifully wooded park attracted visitors who enjoyed picnics, concerts, speeches, and baseball games there. Soon the park was expanded to include a small racetrack on the grounds. Back Text: The new track grabbed the attention of Franklin County Fair officials who held the fair on the site intermittently until 1918 when it was relocated to Hilliard. Shortly thereafter, Colonel James M. Westwater purchased the grounds and added improvements. In 1922, Westwater sold his interest to the Capital City Racing Association and, in 1923, the Association founded Beulah Park ?Ohio’s first Thoroughbred racetrack. The main entrance of the park was located on Grant Avenue, a street named in honor of Jackson Township’s first settlers. In 1931, pari-mutuel wagering commenced under the supervision of the Ohio Racing Commission. In 1983, Beulah Park was the first track in Ohio to offer simulcast wagering on the Kentucky Derby.

 

2017 05 06 96 Grove City OH Vacant Beulah Park Racetrack.JPG

 

One interesting building we came across that did not have a historical marker was the Wagnalls Library in the small town of Lithopolis. This library is a result of Mabel Wagnalls Jones, who was the daughter of Adam Wagnalls, a co-founder of the Funk & Wagnalls Publishing Company.

Built in 1925 it has graced this small town for nearly a century.

 

2017 05 06 72 Lithopolis OH.JPG

 

While we were in Canal Winchester looking for an Interurban station we came across their Main rail station, along with a couple of restored cabooses. We never did find the Interurban station.

2017 05 06 42 Canal Winchester OH.JPG