Fairfield County Ohio claims they have more covered bridges than any other county in the country. A couple of years ago we did a tour of about 1/2 of them, so on this sunny Sunday we decided to do the other half. It turned out this half was primarily not in their original location, and on a few not even over water.
Still they have managed to preserve all of them, which is a better fate than many.
Zeller-Smith Covered Bridge – Now at Sycamore Park in Pickerington, it was built in 1906, it is of Queenpost style and has a span of 73′.
Hizey Bridge – Now located on private property on Tollgate Road in Pickerington, it originally spanned Popular Creek. The Hizey Covered Bridge was built in 1891, with a length of 83 feet. Its Multiple Queenpost construction has an arch.
Stemen House/Estates Covered Bridge – Now located in a residential neighborhood in Violet Township, Fairfield County, Ohio. It was built in 1888 over Sycamore Creek, and moved in 1978 to the Covered Bridge Estates neighborhood. It is 36’ long.
Charles Holliday Bridge – Originally at Walnut Creek on Lake Road it is now at Millersport Lions Club Grounds, near Buckeye Lake.
The Charles Holliday Covered Bridge was the last one standing in Walnut Township. Built in the late 1890’s by J.W. Buchanan, it originally crossed over Walnut Creek on Lake Road. The 98′ multiple Kingpost span was reconstructed in the early 1980’s at its current location at Millersport on the Millersport Kiwanis Sweet Corn Festival Grounds.
Rock Mill Bridge – Spanning over Hocking River next to Rock Mill, it is still in its original location. The Rock Mill Covered Bridge was originally built in 1849 in Queenpost style. A second bridge was built in 1880 and the current span in 1901. It crosses the upper falls 30 feet above the Hocking River’s origin and is the smallest covered bridge in Fairfield County being only 33′ in length. Today the bridge has been converted into a park area by the Fairfield County Historical Parks Commission. It is next to the Rock Mill currently under reconstruction.
The Mill was open the day we were there, with 4 levels up, and a lower level with the gears that are turned by the mill. The volunteer staff was very helpful in enthusiastically explaining the mill and its workings.