Detroit – April 2019 – Random Sights

Our weekend in Detroit resulted in some venues that didn’t result in enough photos for a single posting so they are grouped together in ‘Random Sights’

Up first – Eastern Market.




Detroit has one of the finest farmers markets in the country. Contained in a number of indoor and outdoor ‘sheds’, they offerings vary throughout the year.




On this day there was little produce, but many people with various meats and even landscaping items.




A few street performers were on hand trying to generate some tips.




Surrounding the market are many food service companies. A number of the buildings had food related murals.




A little Detroit muscle in the Market.





In nearby Dearborn is the Henry Ford Estate.




When you invent the Model T you can have any house you want. Henry had this nice home on what was once a 1700 acre grounds. Most has been developed into a college, mall and corporate center for Ford.




This home’s styling has kept up better than most of it’s era.




And when you start a car company you need a really stylish 5 car garage.





A brief tour of downtown revealed a number of art pieces. This skyscraper at One Woodward Avenue was designed by Minoru Yamaski. If the design of the windows looks familiar it is because he later designed the original World Trade Center in New York.

The statue is The Passo di Danza (Step of the Dance).




The Spirit of Detroit is a large statue completed in 1958. Today this symbol adorns most of the city of Detroit’s department logos.




A recent addition is a 17′ high statue called ‘Waiting’ . While many like the addition some say the ‘X’ for eyes represent death.




Detroit is in Wayne County – and the County Building is in a classic Roman Baroque Revival style,, and was completed in 1902.




Cadillac Tower was the first building outside of New York and Chicago to be 40 floors tall when completed in 1927.




Across the street from the Guardian Building is the Buhl Building. Stylish in it’s own right, it pales to its world renown neighbor.




From the 32nd floor of the Guardian Building we had a great view of the surrounding area. This is a view southwest looking at the Ambassador Bridge leading to Canada (on the left), as well as the Rouge Factory in the distance.




The Renaissance Center was built in the 1970s in an effort to revitalize downtown, however it was built across an 8 lane street, along the river, and with huge walls that visually were imposing. Fail.




From our high vantage point we could see out to the vacant Packard factory that we toured the day before.




The Penobscot Building was Detroit’s tallest building from it’s completion in 1928 until the Ren Center was finished in the 1970s.




The building was named after the Penobscot Native American’s in Maine. The exterior motif pays tribute to them.







Columbus – March 2019 – A Broad Street National Historic Registry Lesson

The National Historic Registry has over 80,000 places listed throughout the country, with over 3900 in Ohio, of those 159 are in the city of Columbus. This fairly lengthy posting details those along one of Columbus’s primary street, the aptly named 6 to 8 lane Broad Street.





Some of the properties are in excellent shape, while others are in need of some TLC. Through a number of online sources, including the Ohio Historic Places Dictionary, I was able to pull together some highlights of each property.

Our first stop was on the near west side in Franklinton at the Franklinton Apartments. Located at 949-957 West Broad Street the building was completed in 1920, and is still functioning today as an apartment building.

We would’ve had more photos except for the very sketchy looking people hanging out along the sidewalk on the side of the building, despite the No Loitering sign on the building.





Gen. William Henry Harrison Headquarters – 570 W. Broad St

When Ohio became a state in 1803, there was significant debate on where the capital should be located. Originally set in the southern Ohio town of Chillicothe, and briefly in Zanesville, it was decided in 1816 to build a new town across the Scioto River from Franklinton in the center of the state. As a result the near west side of the city of Columbus was originally the town of Franklinton.

This house was built around 1807, as one of the few brick buildings in Franklinton. It remains one of the few remaining buildings from the Franklinton era. During the War of 1812 it was used by General (future President) William Henry Harrison as his headquarters for the Northwest Army. Later during the Civil War a confederate spy lived in the home.

A smaller house is locate in back.








Engine House No. 6 540 W. Broad St

This 124 year old building served as a fire engine house until 1966, when it was sold and used for a variety of businesses, as evidenced by the dilapidated sign for Jimmy Rea Electronics. A non profit historic preservation group, Heritage Ohio, has purchased it with plans to renovate it as their offices, with retail on the 1st floor.

As with most of the early fire stations this one has a tower attached for drying the hoses.







Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad Station 379 W. Broad St.

This unique former railway station was designed by Frank Packard and Joseph Yost, both noted Columbus architects of the late 1800-early 1900s. It was designed in an Art Nouveau styling uniquely accented with Japanese touches like the pagoda tower. While the pagoda stands out now, it matched the motif of the Macklin Hotel that was present next door until being torn down years ago.

Even though it now seems Japanese in style, it was actually rooted in French and Swiss feudal architecture. The tower originally had 3 large clocks facing all sides, except the railroad tracks. Originally the tracks crossed the street at grade level, but was raised in 1910. The construction of the elevated tracks resulted in a fire that burned the roof of the depot.

In 1930 the passenger service moved to Union Station, making the stations obsolete. New York Central Railroad then sold the station to the Volunteers of America for $1, since the VOA had lost their building on Front Street to eminent domain for the building of the State Office complex. In 2007 the Firefighters Union bought the station and restored it for their use. After 100 years of service, and multiple floods and fires, it stands proudly as a great architectural wonder.

The older photo shows the now demolished hotel along with the station.





Wyandotte Building 21 W. Broad St.

Built in 1898 by Daniel Burnham, the famed Chicago architect, the Wyandotte is Columbus’s first skyscraper. As with the other tall buildings of the era, it incorporated the new technologies of steel frame and safe elevators to rise to the dizzying height of 11 floors. The bay windows were to allow as much light as possible in these early days of the electric light bulb.





Hayden Building and the New Hayden Building 20 E Broad St & 16 E. Broad St.

The Hayden Building was completed in 1869, and remains to this day as the oldest building on Capitol Square. Next door is the New Hayden Building, which at 13 floors surpassed the Wyandotte Building as the tallest building in town when completed in 1901. Both buildings are currently undergoing renovation. For this building we have a ‘then and now’ look at it.





Trinity Episcopal Church 125 E. Broad St

Trinity Episcopal Church is a historic church at 125 E. Broad Street in Columbus, Ohio. It was built in 1866 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. It continues to serve as a church, as well as a community center including a restaurant in the basement that feeds the homeless.






Athletic Club of Columbus                 136 E. Broad St.

The Athletic Club building was completed in 1915 in a Spanish Renaissance Revival style with Italian influences. Designed by Richard, McCarty & Bullard, it has changed little in the 100 + years it has stood in downtown Columbus.

It’s members have included a president (Harding), multiple governors and other business and political leaders.





Yuster Building 150 E. Broad St.

The eight-story building at the corner of Third and Broad is now called the Empire Building. Designed and built by Frank Packard in the 1920s, it has a two-story base faced in stone features Gothic-inspired relief sculpture and ornamental grilles, and the lobby has a vaulted ceiling with decorative plasterwork and ornamental light fixtures,”





Benjamin Smith House       181 E. Broad St.

Built in 1860 and now occupied by the Columbus Club, it has been the residence of multiple Ohio governors, and it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Built by Benjamin Smith, a railroad contractor and banker following the Civil War, the home had bricks that were made in Philadelphia and shipped to Columbus.

Mr Smith lost his fortune over time and was forced to sell the house. Two governors then lived there, however the pay for governor was so low, the second Joseph Foraker, had to vacate the house because they couldn’t afford to heat it. The Columbus Club purchased it in 1886, and retains ownership to this day.





Seneca Hotel 361 E. Broad St.

Yet another Frank Packard design, the Seneca Hotel was completed in 1917, with the additional four story addition on the east side of the building being erected in 1924. It served as a hotel until the late 1950s, when it became a school called the Nationwide Beauty Academy, with the hotel rooms becoming dormitories.

One of the unique requirements of living there during this time was ‘Girls living in the dorms must be in by 11 p.m. week nights and 1:30 a.m. on weekends, and men and liquor are taboo in the girls’ rooms, as are bare feet in the lobby or hair curlers in the cafeteria.’

It then served as the headquarters of the Ohio EPA from 1976 until 1987, then at vacant for nearly 20 years before a restoration project turned it into a 76 unit apartment building.






Columbus Gallery of Fine Arts          480 E. Broad St.

The Columbus Museum of Art was built on the location that once was home to the Sessions Mansion. As with the Athletic Club, it was designed by Richards, McCarty and Bulford, and opened in 1931. An additional, much larger building was added in 2005.





Broad Street United Methodist Church 501 E. Broad St.

This church was opened in 1885 as a state of the art church in what is known as an ‘Akron Plan’, which is a design where there were wings radiating from the main church for uses like Sunday school. It was designed by Joseph Yost, who had done many major Columbus buildings and churches.

The exterior design is in a High Victorian Gothic style, using masonry materials, point arch bays, and numerous gabled roof lines and towers. The highlight is the green serpentine stone as facing on the brick walls, with limestone and sandstone for the base. This serpentine was replaced with designer stone in 2008.

The wall that fronts Broad Street has art glass windows that came from the Central Church when it was demolished. The east wall has windows that were installed in 1908.





W.H. Jones Mansion           731 E. Broad St.

The W H Jones Mansion was built in 1889 in the Queen Anne style, with a corner turret, third story ballroom and a matching carriage house in the rear.

Jones modeled the mansion after a home in the small town of  Barnesville, Ohio, not realizing that his model house was designed to ward off evil spirits, with a number of sevens and threes in the design.  It has seven gargoyles built on his home’s exterior, seven steps going up to the porch, seven posts in one section of the front staircase, three vertical rows of seven horizontal blocks in the interior paneling, and so forth.





Central Assurance Company            741 E. Broad St.

Even though this building was completed at the end of the Art Deco period, it is one of the few examples in Columbus, therefore a significant building. This streamlined commercial building is built directly next to another National Historic Registry building built in a Tudor Revival style, with half timbered 1920s apartments.

Completing this most unique block is a 1880s Italianate home with a large L shaped porch. While it remained in the same family for almost 100 years, it has been a rental property for the last few decades.





East Broad Street Presbyterian Church 760 E. Broad St.

This church was completed in stages, the first being in 1887, then additions in 1894, 1908 and 1924. Elah Terrell was responsible for the initial design with Frank Packard contributing to the 1908 expansion. It is built in a Romanesque style. As part of the National Register of Historic Places since 1987, it remains a church as well as a community center serving a food pantry open to the public.





Garfield-Broad Apartments 775 E. Broad St.

This apartment building was built in an Old English Tudor Style with a courtyard. The building is in the traditional brick and half timber construction with stone ornaments and diagonal basket weave and herringbone brickwork, terra cotta roping and other touches. It was completed in 1929, after being designed by Galbreath and Leonard.





Joseph-Cherrington House 785 E. Broad St.

The Joseph Cherrington House is significant as representing the earliest period of residential development along East Broad Street and for it’s Italianate style architecture. The house is the second oldest building out of the five remaining Italianate examples along this street. It displays distinct Italianate characteristics through it’s low pitched hipped roof, tall narrow windows with carved stone segmental arched hood molds, bracketed stone sills and a brick stringcourse under the cornice with frieze windows.

Wilden E Joseph was affiliated with the Patton Manufacturing Company. In 1930 Mr Harold Cherrington and his wife purchased the home. Cherrington was the dramatic editor of the Columbus Dispatch, and later a noted reporter journalist and publicity man.





Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church 787 E. Broad St.

Saint Paul’s Church was established in 1839, with the first building being at Mound and Third in downtown Columbus being built in 1842. With the growth of the east side, the church moved to the ‘outskirts’ of town in 1904 with this building. As with many of the downtown churches, The episcopal closed in 2011, but now serves the Shiloh Christian Center.





Carrie Lovejoy House          807 E. Broad St.

A two and a half story residence with massing and ornamentation, the Carrie Lovejoy House reflects the residential development along East Broad Street. When this house was build around 1900 E Broad Street was considered the most fashionable street in the city.

This house display elements of the colonial revival style in its classical details including the third floor dormer with palladian window, bracketed eaves, and a multi pane window entrance portico with paired Doric columns.

Carrie Lovejoy was the widow of Nathan Lovejoy, who was in the lumber business. He operated a sawmill in the city in the late 19th century. Carrie moved into this house after his death and lived there until 1914.





C.E. Morris House 875 E. Broad St.

This Queen Anne two and a half story brick house was built in the late 1800s in a Romanesque Revival style with the massive asymmetrical elements. Other noted features include the para-petted gables with stone, high stepped chimneys and irregular fenestration with the windows capped by cut stone lintels. The porch on the north facade is supported by heavy squat French Romanesque columns. The facade is also defined by an octagonal tower on the west.

Built around 1897 it was the home of C E Morris, owner of Morris Ironworks, who was also a real estate attorney, and president of the Hotel Lincoln Company. They lived there from 1897 to 1924.





Erwin W. Schueller House 904 E. Broad St.

The house was built for him in 1909 where he lived until his death in 1914. Built in the Queen Anne style, the house is two and a half stories of brick construction with a slate hip roof, front bay windows and second story round arched window. Dr. Schueller’s wife Sara continued to live there until around the mid-1940s when it was converted to offices. The house had a few other owners. Notable ones include The Ohio Nurses Association had their offices there in the 1950s. In the 1980s, the home housed the National Alliance of Postal and Federal Employees’ local chapter. Their membership declined and they lost tenants and were unable to maintain it.

When a home restorer bought the home in November of 2007 it was not habitable. Restoring the slate roof was the first order of business, as it had over 80 leaks. Using old photos he was able to restore much of the home to the original look. The link below has a great article detailing the amazing work it took to bring back this grand home.

Columbus underground  https://www.columbusunderground.com/at-home-returning-an-olde-towne-east-home-to-its-original-splendor





Linus B. Kauffman House 906 E. Broad St.

Built 1870 Another Italianate style with outstanding and ornate carved stone ornamentation. Low pitched roof, tall narrow chimneys wide eaves supported by brackets, frieze windows, long narrow windows with carved stone lintels, and bracketed stone sills. Linus Kauffman was VP of the Kauffman Lattimer Company, wholesale druggists lived here from 1907-1931, with his wife Clara residing there until 1936.

Clara was an active woman, being a supporter of the suffrage movement, the president of the YWCA, as well as active in numerous historic societies.





Cambridge Arms 926 E. Broad St.

Built in 1928, the Cambridge Arms Apartments was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986, but was removed in 1987 because of owner objection. They now advertise they are indeed on the Registry.

The concrete building rises 9 floors and has a height just under 100 feet. The building was home to many notable families at the time, including the Wolfe family who owned the Columbus Dispatch newspaper.





Soloman Levy House 929 E. Broad St.

Another turn of the century residence, this one was built in the Arts and crafts movement style of American architecture (aka FLW) Prairie style through its ribbon windows, high water table, smooth stone stringcourses and horizontal emphasis. Levy was the founder and president of the union clothing company, now the Union, established in the late 1890s.





Sharp-Page House 935 E. Broad St

This 1889 Queen Anne, one of 16 remaining 19th century single family residences along East Broad Street in original condition. Projecting pediment bays with slate trim and double hung one over one windows, arched windows, rusticated stone lintels and smooth stone sills, an entrance with transom and double doors and decorative wood window trim. An ornate tower with a conical roof on the west side of the house. Built for Dr Amos Sharp and Elmer Sharp (a real estate broker). Today it serves as a women’s health center.





The next few make up a block featured in the old photo below.



957 E Broad Street was the Bible Mediation League building in 1948. Previous owners include real estate agent Perin B Monypeny and Frank Hickock manufacturing agent. It is now an office for the Community Housing Network.





Shedd-Dunn House 965 E. Broad St.

The Shedd–Dunn House is also known as Noverre Musson & Associates, Architects. The house was built in 1888 and is of the Queen Anne architectural style. The home originally belonged to Frank J Shedd, who was a partner in E E Shedd Grocers. It later became the home of Eggleston Dunn of the Dunn Taft Store.





Heyne Zimmerman House                 973 E Broad Street

This home is a 2.5 story tan brick, and red mortar structure with Colonial Revival characteristics, but has Classical detailing, including a Doric columned porch with full entablature and bracketed eaves and cornice with modillions. The roof is hipped and windows are one over one. A one story addition was added to the rear of the house.

It was built around 1911 when Carl G. Heyne, president of the American Cash Register Company lived there until 1914. In 1918 Charles Zimmerman, manager of the Ohio Auto Sales Company purchased the house where he lived until his death in the early 1930s. His widow Ottie Zimmerman lived there until the 1940s. It was put on the National Historic Registry in 1987.





Hanna House 1021 E. Broad St

A 5900 square foot house, built in 1900 this buff colored brick on a stone foundation house features a tile hipped roof. Built by James Hanna, founder of the Hanna paint company. The house features carved woodwork, leaded and stained glass windows, a grand staircase and most of the original light fixtures.





Broad Street Christian Church 1051 E. Broad St.

First organized in 1870, this build was designed and built in 1907. It’s architecture is Arts and Crafts with the Mission style through its use of rough faced stone wall treatment and smooth stone trim, bracketed wide eaves, side entrances with bracketed roofs and square corner tower with hipped roof and round corner turrets. Also features round stained glass windows, tile roof and parapet supported by squat Tuscan columns.

In 2009 the church was sold to the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church, serving new generations to this day.





Johnson-Campbell House 1203 E. Broad St.

Something different – a Georgian and classical influence with rusticated quoins, modillions under project eaves. Tuscan doric columns, round arched windows with fanlights, and chimneys. It was owned by Edward Johnson, president of the Lorain Coal and Dock Company from 1906-1912, and Joseph Campbell president of the National Bank of Commerce for the next 30 years.





Frank J. Kaufman House     1231 E. Broad St

Yet another Queen Anne with the conical roof and irregular massing built at the turn of the century. A two story carriage house with singled gables is in the rear. This house’s current paint scheme makes a statement.





Old Governor’s Mansion 1234 E. Broad St.

The Old Governor’s Mansion was built in 1904 as the estate of Charles Lindenberg. It was designed by Frank Packard in a Colonial revival style. Until 1917 the State of Ohio did not maintain a residence for the Governor, instead they were on their own in finding a place to live. In December of 1916 Governor elect James Cox thought he had found a home to rent at 940 East Broad Street, where the outgoing Governor Bushnell lived. Unfortunately for Cox in incoming Secretary of State W D Fulton also needed a place to live and beat Cox to renting 940 East Broad, living him nowhere to live. Cox had to rent a room in a hotel.

Embarrassed by this, the Ohio General Assembly appointed a committee to find a Governor’s Mansion. They eventually settled on the Lindenberg Mansion, with it’s wide staircase and Tiffany glass. Despite the ornate trappings of their mansion, the Lindenbergs actually sold the home to the state of Ohio at a loss.

Photo during the time it served as the Governor’s Mansion

Once the state purchased the home they began a complete remodel, as well as razing the home next door to make room for a garden. The furnishing for the home were made by prisoners at the Mansfield Reformatory. In 1920 Governor Cox was finally able to move in. He, and 9 subsequent governors and their families called this home during a 36 year period before the state purchased another mansion in Bexley for the new governor’s mansion.

This historic site is said to be haunted by an African American woman in a blue dress who is believed to have died in a fire in the mansion. Staff at the site have reported paintings rearranged after hours. Investigators say that the apparition of a female in turn-of-the-century clothing for a housekeeper has been seen multiple times in the mansion. The unmistakable smell of burning hair and skin is reportedly still detected by visitors to the mansion.





Franklin Park Conservatory                1547 E. Broad St.

In 1852, the Franklin County Agriculture Society purchased 88 acres located two miles east of downtown Columbus as a site for the first Franklin County Fair. In 1874, that land was made the official grounds of the Ohio State Fair. Ohio Legislature passed a resolution declaring the site as Franklin Park and open for public use in 1884.

With the Chicago World’s Fair of 1893, the city of Columbus was inspired to creature a horticulture building influences by the Exposition’s Glass Palace. That grand Victorian-style glass greenhouse is now known as the John F. Wolfe Palm House, it opened to the public in 1895 as Franklin Park Conservatory.

Our trip across Broad Street was interesting and educational. With so many great buildings on the National Historic Registry I encourage you to check out your town’s contribution to this list.








Delaware, OH – July 2018 – Fun with Funghi

Our hot weekend continued with a visit to a local Metro Park – Gallant Woods – that was holding a ‘Mushroom Hike’. Lead by Kari, one of the Education leaders from the park service, we wandered through the woods for an hour while she and others spotted various types of mushrooms.

2018 07 01 3 Delaware OH Gallant Woods Park Mushroom Hike.jpg

 

 

Our group was small, with Kari and another family who was into foraging for mushrooms, making it very educational.

2018 07 01 4 Delaware OH Gallant Woods Park Mushroom Hike.jpg

 

 

Most of the mushrooms were quite small, but still very interesting.

2018 07 01 6 Delaware OH Gallant Woods Park Mushroom Hike.jpg

 

 

We found interesting growth on trees.

2018 07 01 10 Delaware OH Gallant Woods Park Mushroom Hike.jpg

 

 

A red one on a small twig.

2018 07 01 12 Delaware OH Gallant Woods Park Mushroom Hike.jpg

 

 

Mushy ones on another dead tree.

2018 07 01 15 Delaware OH Gallant Woods Park Mushroom Hike.jpg

 

 

It was fascinating how when you start looking closely how many different types there are. Much time was spent explaining how difficult it is to see the difference between poisonous ones and those that are edible.

2018 07 01 20 Delaware OH Gallant Woods Park Mushroom Hike.jpg

 

 

Kari would often pick them to give us a closer look.

2018 07 01 22 Delaware OH Gallant Woods Park Mushroom Hike.jpg

 

 

When you looked closely the details are amazing.

2018 07 01 28 Delaware OH Gallant Woods Park Mushroom Hike.jpg

 

 

One large tree had them growing all the way up the 50′ tall tree.

2018 07 01 33 Delaware OH Gallant Woods Park Mushroom Hike.jpg

 

 

While you are supposed to leave the mushrooms where they grow for others to enjoy, we were permitted to keep some since Kari picked them as part of our tour.

2018 07 01 35 Delaware OH Gallant Woods Park Mushroom Hike.jpg

 

 

Across the road is the original homestead complete with a restored 1930s farm house.

2018 07 01 44 Delaware OH Gallant Woods Park Mushroom Hike.jpg

 

 

The entire county parks system is featuring flight this year so one of the barns had a great exhibit with model planes.

2018 07 01 38 Delaware OH Gallant Woods Park Mushroom Hike.jpg

 

 

The exhibit’s planes were very impressive.

2018 07 01 39 Delaware OH Gallant Woods Park Mushroom Hike.jpg

 

 

We thoroughly enjoyed our hike with Kari, and the time spent with the other staff and volunteers afterwards in the farm house. The staff was even kind enough to share some mushroom quiche they had been preparing in the 1930s stove.

2018 07 01 41 Delaware OH Gallant Woods Park Mushroom Hike.jpg

 

 

 

 

Columbus – June 2018 – Old Oaks Neighborhood House and Garden Tour

Like many cities in America Columbus had significant growth in the early 1900s. One of the main drivers of this growth was the development of streetcars, which allowed people to live further than walking distance from their place of work.

One of those neighborhoods in Columbus is the Old Oaks neighborhood just southeast of downtown. When the streetcar line was electrified in 1891 the neighborhood followed shortly after.

On this sunny warm June day they had their annual Home and Garden Tour. But before we could tour the homes we made a stop at Holy Rosary St John Church to purchase our tickets.

2018 06 10 16 Columbus Old Oaks Neighborhood House & Garden Tour.jpg

 

 

The church has impressive stained glass throughout.

2018 06 10 9 Columbus Old Oaks Neighborhood House & Garden Tour.jpg

 

 

But we were here to tour the neighborhood …

2018 06 10 28 Columbus Old Oaks Neighborhood House & Garden Tour.jpg

 

 

As with many inner city neighborhoods there had been a long period of lack of investment leading to deterioration. Many neighborhoods, including Old Oaks, has had an infusion of gentrification over the last 20-30 years.

While many Columbus neighborhoods have had a near complete gentrification, Old Oaks still has a mix of the original residents and those who have come in and rehabbed a home.

2018 06 10 29 Columbus Old Oaks Neighborhood House & Garden Tour.jpg

 

 

The neighborhood is nearly all stately brick homes.

2018 06 10 42 Columbus Old Oaks Neighborhood House & Garden Tour.jpg

 

 

There is an interesting mix of those that are in dire need of repair, those that have been fully restored, and then those like this one that are in between. It is understandable with the amount of work and money it takes.

2018 06 10 45 Columbus Old Oaks Neighborhood House & Garden Tour.jpg

 

 

Amongst the large brick homes is this beautiful Craftsman style home – note the house on the left is boarded up – waiting for the right person to come in and bring her back.

2018 06 10 47 Columbus Old Oaks Neighborhood House & Garden Tour.jpg

 

 

Not all of the homes shown here were on the official tour, but grace the streets of the neighborhood.

2018 06 10 61 Columbus Old Oaks Neighborhood House & Garden Tour.jpg

 

 

With the flags it is clear you are in Ohio – USA.

2018 06 10 62 Columbus Old Oaks Neighborhood House & Garden Tour.jpg

 

 

At the edge of the neighborhood, along Livingston Avenue is Greek Revival style home that was built much earlier than the rest of the neighborhood – dating from 1852. Known as the Caroline Brown home, it was a stop on the Underground Railroad to freedom for slaves prior to, and during the Civil War of the 1860s.

2018 06 10 72 Columbus Old Oaks Neighborhood House & Garden Tour.jpg

 

 

A few of the interiors of the homes were open for inspection.

2018 06 10 23 Columbus Old Oaks Neighborhood House & Garden Tour.jpg

 

 

They were all beautifully restored and decorated.

2018 06 10 24 Columbus Old Oaks Neighborhood House & Garden Tour.jpg

 

 

A great use of an old pull down school map – a window shade!

2018 06 10 27 Columbus Old Oaks Neighborhood House & Garden Tour.jpg

 

 

Some had stained glass windows (you can also see the use of stained glass from the street as well).

2018 06 10 33 Columbus Old Oaks Neighborhood House & Garden Tour.jpg

 

 

Fireplaces were present in many of the bedrooms.

2018 06 10 34 Columbus Old Oaks Neighborhood House & Garden Tour.jpg

 

 

All of the homes have excellent wood work throughout.

2018 06 10 68 Columbus Old Oaks Neighborhood House & Garden Tour.jpg

 

 

Another example of a bedroom with a fireplace.

2018 06 10 69 Columbus Old Oaks Neighborhood House & Garden Tour.jpg

 

 

 

An older look was present in one of the homes.

2018 06 10 79 Columbus Old Oaks Neighborhood House & Garden Tour.jpg

 

 

 

The highlights though were the garden tours – this one featured a massive pergola leading to the original (apparently un-restored) garage.

2018 06 10 22 Columbus Old Oaks Neighborhood House & Garden Tour.jpg

 

 

An arch frames the garden of another home.

2018 06 10 40 Columbus Old Oaks Neighborhood House & Garden Tour.jpg

 

 

If nature wipes out your tree, make it art.

2018 06 10 46 Columbus Old Oaks Neighborhood House & Garden Tour.jpg

 

 

One of the homes had extensive outdoor living space including a pool and a palm (Ohio palm tree?)

2018 06 10 55 Columbus Old Oaks Neighborhood House & Garden Tour.jpg

 

 

Another had a number of artistic touches include beer bottles made into candles.

2018 06 10 65 Columbus Old Oaks Neighborhood House & Garden Tour.jpg

 

 

The garages are in the rear, as originally they were carriage houses, to house horses. Alleys line all the houses in the back.

2018 06 10 66 Columbus Old Oaks Neighborhood House & Garden Tour.jpg

 

 

Technically not a garden, but the front porches were great – giving the neighborhood a sense of community.

2018 06 10 70 Columbus Old Oaks Neighborhood House & Garden Tour.jpg

 

Old Oaks is a community in transition but as is remains a vibrant part of the city. Thanks to all who shared their homes and gardens!

As our tour ended back on Livingston Avenue, we visited the boyhood home of Eddie Rickenbacker, truly one of America’s great men. Raised in this humble house in the early 1900s, Eddie went on to become a record land speed racer, a World War I fighter pilot, a pioneer in the development of Aviation, and many other things.

For some interesting reading about one of Columbus’s great native sons check out the wiki page on Eddie. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Rickenbacker

Somebody should make a movie (although they did back in the 1940s it could be done so much better now – and Eddie has the stories that would be worth telling).

 

2018 06 10 86 Columbus Old Oaks Neighborhood House & Garden Tour.jpg

 

Sands Point, NY – May 2018 – Sands Point Preserve

Our final stop on our tour of North Shore Mansions was Sands Point Preserve. This estate contains two primary mansions, the Hempstead House and Castle Gould.

Castle Gould was built to be a replica of Kilkenny Castle.

5

 

2018 05 29 1 Sands Point NY Sands Point Preserve.jpg

 

 

Which from a distance has a strong resemblance.

2018 05 29 3 Sands Point NY Sands Point Preserve.jpg

 

 

As with the other estates this one too borders the Long Island Sound. While these mansions remain much like they were 100 years ago, the others nearby have been torn down and replaced with modern houses.

2018 05 29 12 Sands Point NY Sands Point Preserve.jpg

 

 

Back up on the hill you again get a nice water view.

2018 05 29 17 Sands Point NY Sands Point Preserve.jpg

 

 

The Hempstead House features well kept gardens, although large tents mar the view (for all of those brides from Planting Fields I guess)

2018 05 29 20 Sands Point NY Sands Point Preserve.jpg

 

 

This home too features a large turret.

2018 05 29 22 Sands Point NY Sands Point Preserve.jpg

 

 

The entryway has massive wooden doors, with a smaller side door for actual use.

2018 05 29 25 Sands Point NY Sands Point Preserve.jpg

 

 

Clearly if you are going to visit Long Island Mansions of the past, don’t do it on a Tuesday – they are all closed to tours.

2018 05 29 31 Sands Point NY Sands Point Preserve.jpg

Cove Neck, NY – May 2018 – Sagamore Hill

As American presidents go, none were more interesting than Teddy Roosevelt. Born and raised in New York City Teddy did as many wealthy people of the time did, he bought an estate in the country. In his case he purchased 155 acres along the North Shore of Long Island, near Oyster Bay. By 1887 a home was completed and Teddy moved in.

 

 

 

2018 05 28 66 Oyster Bay NY Sagamore Hill NHS.jpg

 

 

Today the estate is part of the National Park Service. As you arrive and park about 100 yards away at the visitor center, you approach the home from the rear therefore the first close up you get is of the ice house. Without refrigeration an ice house was an integral part of life.

2018 05 28 68 Oyster Bay NY Sagamore Hill NHS.jpg

 

 

Making our way around the exterior (once again we arrived somewhere that was closed to tours for the day) we were greeting with a view of an eagle sculpture on the side of the home.

2018 05 28 73 Oyster Bay NY Sagamore Hill NHS.jpg

 

 

When it was built in the late 1800s it was thought to be a very modern looking house.

2018 05 28 74 Oyster Bay NY Sagamore Hill NHS.jpg

 

 

On this closer view of the front you will note that a portion of the railing is missing. Teddy has this removed so he could more easily address crowds that regularly gathered on the front lawn.

2018 05 28 75 Oyster Bay NY Sagamore Hill NHS.jpg

 

 

 

The front porch is massive, and the awnings add to the comfort on a warm summer day even more.

2018 05 28 77 Oyster Bay NY Sagamore Hill NHS.jpg

 

 

 

The traditional entrance featured a porte cochere (carriage porch).

2018 05 28 82 Oyster Bay NY Sagamore Hill NHS.jpg

 

 

Our final view of the home provided an interesting perspective up the hill past the ice house to the main house. Note the numerous roof lines.

2018 05 28 92 Oyster Bay NY Sagamore Hill NHS.jpg

 

 

Nearby Teddy Roosevelt Jr later built his home.

2018 05 28 94 Oyster Bay NY Sagamore Hill NHS.jpg

 

 

The estate property goes all the way down the hill to Cold Spring Harbor. Sagamore Hill is a great place to spend a couple of hours – just try and time it when the house it open!

2018 05 28 95 Oyster Bay NY Sagamore Hill NHS.jpg

Lloyds Neck, NY – May 2018 – Caumsett State Park

Caumsett State Park is situated along the North Shore of Long island, with 1400 acres facing the Long Island Sound. Famed retailer Marshall Field built the estate in the mid 1920s, naming it after the Matinecock Native American’s word for ‘Place by a Sharp Rock’

The estate was purchased by the state of New York in 1961 as a park. The mansion itself is in need of some repair, although apparently birds like to live on the chimney.

2018 05 28 41 Lloyd Harbor NY Caumsett State Park

 

 

As noted it is along the Sound, with a picturesque view.

2018 05 28 39 Lloyd Harbor NY Caumsett State Park.jpg

 

 

 

Returning to our tour around the outside of the house (it is rarely open for interior tours) you can still see the details, as well as the need for some upkeep.

2018 05 28 43 Lloyd Harbor NY Caumsett State Park.jpg

 

 

Nearby a former garage serves as a gathering spot.

2018 05 28 45 Lloyd Harbor NY Caumsett State Park.jpg

 

 

Also on the property are other stately homes, although without the water views.

2018 05 28 48 Lloyd Harbor NY Caumsett State Park.jpg

 

 

One home is still in daily use.

2018 05 28 49 Lloyd Harbor NY Caumsett State Park.jpg

 

 

The estate was used for many equestrian events, as evidences by the many barns. Caumsett State Park is a nice place to hike with natural scenery, but with some investment the property could be brought back to be an impressive setting.

2018 05 28 50 Lloyd Harbor NY Caumsett State Park.jpg